Last updated: August 22, 2023
1. WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
The Hellenic Initiative Canada is a registered Canadian charity that is a single organization that operates under the brands “The Hellenic Initiative Canada”.
The Hellenic Initiative Canada collects and processes personal information through the following areas of operations:
- Our website for donors offers a user-friendly way for individuals to donate or fundraise for their favourite Canadian charities. The Hellenic Initiative Canada collects and processes the donor’s personal information submitted through the Website. At the donor’s express request, The Hellenic Initiative Canada may also disclose personal information about its individual donors to the charities they support.
All donations made through our tools and services are made directly to The Hellenic Initiative Canada (who issues donors their tax receipts). The Hellenic Initiative Canada transfers the donated amount (minus its non-commercial service fee) to the registered charity selected by the donor (unless, of course, your donation is intended by you to be to The Hellenic Initiative Canada alone, in which case your donation in support of our activities is gratefully received and retained by The Hellenic Initiative Canada in its entirety).
2. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
Personal information means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include personal information where all references to the identity of the relevant individual have been removed (anonymous personal information).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal information about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Personal information includes:
- username or similar identifier,
- first name, last name, title, company you work for, and in the case of individuals representing charities using our service, your job title, role and/or level of experience.
- Contact Personal information includes address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Financial Personal information includes bank account, credit card details, public cryptocurrency wallet information in the event that you donate cryptocurrencies, and securities related information in the event you donate securities or mutual funds to The Hellenic Initiative Canada (including your mutual fund or security name, number of units, investment firm, account number, financial advisor name, email, phone number.) If you donate in cryptocurrency, certain information may be public and not erasable (on the public ledger), such as the transaction amount and the wallet address. If someone knows your wallet address, they will have access to other transaction details.
- Transaction Personal information includes details about payments to you (refunds) and from you (donations) and purchase of products (including a Charity gift card).
- Technical Personal information includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login personal information, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile Personal information includes your username and password, donations made by you, your interests, preferences, surveys, and feedback.
- Usage Personal information includes information about how you use our website and our Services.
- Marketing and Communications Personal information includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal information about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric information). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
This website is not intended for children under the age of 18 and we do not knowingly collect personal information relating to children.
3. HOW IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
We use different methods to collect personal information from and about you including through:
- Direct interactions. You may give us your Identity, Contact, Transaction and Financial Personal information by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal information you provide when you:
- Sign-up for an account and update your account;
- ii. Make a donation (including one-time gifts, recurring gifts, gifts of cryptocurrencies and securities, and donations made to purchase a charity gift card) and receive a tax receipt, if applicable;
- Subscribe to our educational services or publications or to contact us or provide feedback;
- Request marketing to be sent to you; or
- Give us feedback or contact us.
- Automated technologies or interactions. As you interact with our website, we will automatically collect Technical Personal information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We collect this personal information by using cookies, pixels, server logs and other similar technologies. We may also receive Technical Personal information about you if you visit other websites employing our cookies.
4. WHY DO WE COLLECT AND USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We will only use your personal information when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal information in the following circumstances:
- Where needed to perform the service you are requesting.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
Note that we may process your Personal information for more than one lawful basis depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your personal information. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your Personal information where more than one ground has been set out in the table below.
We have set out below, in a table format, a description of all the ways we plan to use your personal information, and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are where appropriate.
Table: Purposes for which we will use your personal information
|Type of personal information
|Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest
|Who do we share your personal information with for these purposes
|To process your requests and perform our services
|(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Financial (d) Transaction (e) Marketing and Communications
|Performance of a contract with you (e.g. facilitating your donation according to your directive).
|We may share your personal information with certain of our service providers who process your information on our behalf, on a need to know basis, in order to be able to process your requests or otherwise perform our services.
|To make a donation, including one-time and monthly monetary donations, securities and mutual funds and receive a charitable tax receipt, if applicable.
|(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Financial (d) Transaction
|(a) Performance of a contract with you (e.g. facilitating your donation according to your directive). (b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to recover sums due to us).
|(a) We share your Financial personal information only with our third party payment processor, cryptocurrency exchange, or broker, depending upon the type of donation. (b) We share this information, except Financial personal information, with the Charities you have selected to benefit from your donation unless you were provided the option to remain anonymous to the charity and you selected that option when making the donation. (c) If your donation is made in memory or honour of someone, we share your name and email with the recipient so they can thank you for the gift.
|To enable automatic or fast donation processing for future one-time and/or or recurring donations.
|(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Financial (d) Transaction
|(a) Performance of a contract with you. (b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to recover sums due to us).
|(a) We share your Financial personal information with our third-party payment processor.
|To subscribe to our newsletter or publications; to contact us or provide us feedback; to participate in a survey.
|(a) Identity (b) Contact
|(a) Performance of a contract with you. (b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for marketing purposes).
|(a) We do not share your personal information for this purpose.
|To administer and protect our business and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data).
|(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Technical
|(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganisation or group restructuring exercise). (b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation.
|(a) We do not share your personal information for this purpose.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal information uses, particularly around marketing and advertising.
We may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Usage and Profile Personal information to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which Services may be relevant for you.
Where Canada’s Antispam Legislation (CASL) applies to The Hellenic Initiative Canada’ communications with users, donors or volunteers, The Hellenic Initiative Canada is committed to complying with CASL and, in particular, the provisions setting out the requirements for sending commercial electronic messages.
You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or made a donation to us and you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal information with any third party for marketing purposes.
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time at the email [email protected] .
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, we may continue to use your personal information in order to provide you with the services you have requested from us.
Where our use of your personal information requires your consent, you can provide such consent:
- at the time we collect your personal information following the instructions provided; or
- by registration through our website
- Change of Purpose
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact us.
If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
5. TO WHOM DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal information and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal information for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
6. HOW DO WE PROTECT THE CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We are committed to keeping the personal information provided to us secure and we will take reasonable precautions to protect personal information from loss, misuse or alteration.
We have implemented information security policies, rules and technical measures that are intended to protect the personal information that we have under our control from:
- unauthorised access;
- improper use or disclosure;
- unauthorised modification; and
- unlawful destruction or accidental loss.
All of our members, employees, workers and personal information processors (i.e. those who process your personal information on our behalf, for the purposes listed above), who have access to, and are associated with, the processing of personal information, are obliged to respect the confidentiality of the personal information of all visitors to the Site and all users of our Services.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal information breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
7. HOW LONG WILL WE RETAIN YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We will only retain your Personal information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your Personal information for a longer period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in respect to our relationship with you.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your personal information: see your legal rights Section below for further information.
In some circumstances we will anonymise your Personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
8. YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
- Your right of access
Upon request, we will confirm whether we are processing your Personal information and, subject to any applicable exemptions, provide you with a copy of that Personal information within the timescales provided for by law. We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it could take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests.
- Your right to rectification
If the Personal information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to have it rectified. If you are entitled to rectification and if we have shared your Personal information with others, we will let them know about the rectification where possible and where this would not involve disproportionate effort. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you who we have shared your Personal information with so that you can contact them directly.
- Your right to erasure
You can ask us to delete or remove your Personal information in some circumstances such as where we no longer need it or if you withdraw your consent (where applicable because that was the legal basis on which we were processing your Personal information). If you are entitled to erasure and if we have shared your Personal information with others, we will take reasonable steps to inform those others where possible and where this would not involve disproportionate effort. If you ask us, where it is possible and lawful for us to do so, we will also tell you who we have shared your Personal information with so that you can contact them directly.
- Your right to restrict processing
You can ask us to “block” or suppress the processing of your Personal information in certain circumstances such as where you contest the accuracy of that Personal information or you object to us. If you are entitled to restriction and if we have shared your Personal information with others, we will let them know about the restriction where it is possible for us to do so. If you ask us, where it is possible and lawful for us to do so, we will also tell you who we have shared your Personal information with so that you can contact them directly.
- Your right to object
You can ask us to stop processing your Personal information, and we will do so, if we are:
- relying on our own or someone else’s legitimate interests to process your Personal information, except if we can demonstrate compelling legal grounds for the processing; or
- processing your Personal information for direct marketing.
- Your right to withdraw consent
If we rely on your consent (or explicit consent) as our legal basis for processing your Personal information, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
9. CONTACTING US
The Hellenic Initiative Canada is the “data controller” and is responsible for your personal information.
The Hellenic Initiative Canada
80 Dundas St W
Telephone number: 1.416.572.7324
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the relevant supervisory authority for personal information protection issues. In Canada, you can contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (“OPC”), see: https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/contact-the-opc/. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the supervisory authority so, please contact us in the first instance.
Links to Other Websites